[802SEC] Meeting site approval by the EC

I have now had the chance to review the minutes of the EC since 2005.  I
guess I had a good reason for not recalling that I had approved a motion
to select specific venues for our plenary meetings.  In the three years
that I have reviewed the minutes, 2005 through 2007, the EC has NEVER
explicitly approved a site for our plenary sessions.

Let me repeat that, the EC has never approved a site for our plenary
sessions in the last three years.  Yet, the EC is entering contracts
(through the IEEE) without explicit approval.

The only items in the minutes that I have found are the following:

Item 10.05 on Friday, July 21, 2006, where the EC approved the extension
of the F2F contract.  In this extension, we implicitly approved meeting
venues from 11/2006 through 7/2007.

Item 10.04 on Friday, March 16/2007, where a straw poll was conducted
among sites for the March 2008 plenary.

Item 10.02 on Friday, July 20, 2007, where a straw poll was conducted
among sites for the March 2008 plenary.

So, how has the EC entered into contracts with venues for our plenary
sessions through 2012, including sites that specifically violate our
decision to hold one plenary session each year outside of North America,
i.e, 2009 and 2010?  Isn't a contract one of the things the EC should be
reviewing and approving?

I think that there needs to be much more transparency in this process
and that the EC needs to be much more closely involved.  The selection
of a site and the approval of the contracts cannot be allowed to be done
outside of public view.

 -Bob

Bob O'Hara
Cisco Systems - WNBU