Re: [802SEC] UC-EC email ballot regarding forwarding 802.20 to RevComm

Dear Mr. Nikolich and the other Members of the UC-EC,

I would like you to be aware that the working group in resolving ballot comments carefully reviewed each comment and discussed all issues involved. Dr. Marks is confused about the treatment of Mr. Riegel's ballots and comments.

The facts are straightforward; on the initial ballot Mr. Riegel voted abstain with a single comment. That comment was designated as "NO" with respect to the "Must be satisfied" column.

In Recirculation 1 Mr. Riegel voted Disapprove without providing any comment whatsoever.

At this point that is a "Disapprove without comment".

Dr. Marks' statement that Mr. Riegel was not contacted at this point is without merit. He cites the rule "If a change to "do not approve" is based solely on comments concerning previously approved portions of the balloted document, the balloter shall be informed that the comments are not based on the changed portion of the balloted document...". Clearly this clause is irrelevant here as there were no comments whatsoever submitted.

On Recirculation 2 Mr. Riegel voted "Disapprove" and the comments were out of scope and invalid; causing the ballot to be treated as "Disapprove without comment".  Mr. Riegel, as well as all other ballotters whose ballots had similar issues, was informed of the status change as per 5.4.3.2.

Under point (2) Dr. Marks argues that the group was told "Number of bloc voters voting disapprove without comments = 0"; implying that is an error. As explained previously, the Oversight Committee ruled, that since the other members in that bloc voted "Abstain" the bloc should be classified as abstain. So indeed there is no Disapprove without comment bloc in Recirculation 1.

It is clear that the responsibility for knowing how he voted rests with Mr. Riegel. The working group carefully followed all applicable ballot comment resolution procedures and believes the draft should go forward to Revcom.

Best regards,

Mark Klerer
Chair - 802.20

PS With respect to the issues that Mr. Marks raises with respect to the myBallot system, the system does not indicate whether the Disapprove is with or without comment. It is not good at keeping track of semantics of comments. If you were to look at the line for Mr. Riegel in Recirc 1 it would show disapprove and 0 comments. Ultimately, the responsibility is the individuals to know whether he/she has submitted a comment.