Re: [802SEC] Governmental and standards body communication in the OM

Pat-

I do not agree that "ISO/IEC JTC-1 has a similar membership model".

ITU is a treaty organization under the charter of the UN. For a great deal of its history its only member were delegations provided by the diplomatic arms of their member bodies. They have broadened their membership to "sector members" but the national body delegations are still driven and managed by the diplomatic arms of their member bodies. The US delegations to ITU are "supervised" by an expert from the state department. None of this has anything at all to do with (as far as I know) ANSI.

ISO, IEC and JTC1 are internationally recognized standards organizations that grant voting membership to "national bodies". "National bodies" are 1 per recognized government and are generally driven by each countries governmental standards body (equivalent to NIST in the US) or their standards organization (equivalent to ANSI in the US). In the US (if it were "all government) this would be equivalent to the difference between the State Department and the Department of Commerce.

The crispness of the distinction varies from country to country but the resulting international organizations are truly different. The national bodies of many countries are de coupled from their government. ITU delegation are not.

Now having said all of that, I do agree with Bob. The ITU-T work that we see is largely technical and they want technical information from us. Most of what I have seen would just be a pain-in-the-neck for the EC.

Best regards,

Geoff