From: "Puthenkulam, Jose P" <jose.p.puthenkulam@INTEL.COM>
To: "STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG" <STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Sent: 7/2/08 20:11
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Governmental and standards body communication in the OM

Hi All,

Regarding ITU standardization aspects that become ITU-R or ITU-T
recommendations. Some things to note below:

I'm attaching an excerpt from the ITU-R web site

http://www.itu.int/publications/publications.aspx?lang=en&parent=R-REC&s
election=6&sector=1

"The ITU-R Recommendations are approved by ITU Member States. Their
implementation is not mandatory; however, as they are developed by
experts from administrations, operators, the industry and other
organizations dealing with radiocommunication matters from all over the
world, they enjoy a high reputation and are implemented worldwide."

Similarly from the ITU-T website another excerpt

http://www.itu.int/publications/sector.aspx?lang=en&sector=2

"Telecommunication Standardization Sector (ITU-T)

The main products of ITU-T are the Recommendations. At present, more
than 3,000 Recommendations (Standards) are in force. Recommendations are
standards that define how telecommunication networks operate and
interwork. ITU-T Recommendations are non-binding, however they are
generally complied with due to their high quality and because they
guarantee the interconnectivity of networks and enable telecommunication
services to be provided on a worldwide scale."

I'm not a legal expert, but I think the above language essentially makes
any ITU recommendations non-binding. However if a member state adopts
laws (or regulations) that require implementation of these
recommendations (for example like the US FCC that is part of the Govt),
it becomes legally binding in the member state.

Hope this helps the discussion.

Thanks & best regards,
jose