Re: [802SEC] FW: [802SEC] Electronic Participation in Interim Meetings

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the inputs.

So all I can do in response is share my experiences and thoughts.  When
we started the Whitespace ECSG and people started signing up for the
reflector, I know we were in trouble.  Over 200 people had signed up,
and when I took a straw poll on who would attend the first
teleconference, it was more than 50.  But I had no choice.  We had no
other way to meet, so we had to find a way to make it work.

I decided to add a web ex, and try and use it to simplify the attendance
and voting process.  The first meeting frankly didn't come off so well.
We didn't have enough ports so people couldn't get on.  We had to drop
the whole call and some people couldn't get back in.  People went on
hold and we got to hear loud elevator music to talk over.

But by the second time round, we were getting more practiced, and the
meeting went much more smoothly.  I made sure there were enough ports.
There was occasional static, but it usually was resolved quickly, and we
were able to conduct business pretty effectively.  People made
presentations and most participants could see them (some chose to
participate by teleconference only).  By the last couple of meetings, we
actually started doing on line votes and straw polls.  The whole system
is working so smoothly now, I kind of wish I had it at our face to face
meetings.

So I'm not saying every kink is worked out, and there will never be a
glitch.  But let's face it, we get glitches at our face to face meetings
where servers go down, you can't get to documents, you can't register
attendance, the mike in the room dies, etc.  Things happen, and you
learn how to deal with them.  This is a new medium that is available to
us.  We have to learn how to best use it, but I think it can be used
effectively.

Concerning meeting fees, the infrastructure to meet electronically is
not free.  If formally instituted, attendance by teleconference would
have a meeting fee associated with it.  That fee could be adjusted to
reflect both costs and impact to 802.  Up front participants would know
that they have a choice for how to participate - one would be lower
overall cost (time and money), but would also not provide as much
benefit.  Since we (IEEE 802) would decide how and when it is
implemented, we could do it in a phased approach, and see what impact it
actually has.  But frankly I am more concerned about 'fairness' to all
participants involved, rather than the cost to implement the process.
The me that will be the biggest experiment from the interim.  Can
in-person and electronic participants both participate, and will they
all feel fairly represented.

Bottom line for now, this is just an experiment.  The EC still need to
meet and conclude if it has any merit what so ever.  Personally, I
believe it does have merit.  However, I don't think we should instantly
implement it.

Happy New Year (a bit late), and hope all is well!

Mat

Matthew Sherman, Ph.D.
Engineering Fellow
BAE Systems -  Network Systems (NS)