From: Geoff Thompson [mailto:gthompso@nortel.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:14 PM
To: Sherman, Matthew J. (US SSA)
Cc: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Electronic Participation in Interim Meetings

Mat-

At 05:56 PM 1/10/2009 , Sherman, Matthew J. (US SSA) wrote:
 > Would you participate electronically if you were required
 > to pay the incremental costs for providing electronic
 > participation? (Yes / No)

Such a system would not be fair to those who show up at the meeting. I
see
no reason why those who show up should not should their fair share of
the
overhead of putting on a meeting. That means, in my mind, that they pay
full registration fee less any portion of that which is for local food
and
beverage.

When we are putting on a mixed meeting, it has significant overhead
costs
that remote attendees should share in. If folks start opting for remote
participation over "being there" because they aren't supporting the cost
of
putting on the meeting, then it increasingly will drive the cost of that

onto those who bother to come. I believe that we want the bias (if any)
be in favor of getting together physically, not against.

Geoff