From: Carl R. Stevenson [mailto:wk3c@wk3c.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:02 AM
To: tony@jeffree.co.uk; 'Rigsbee, Everett O';
STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG; Sherman, Matthew J. (US SSA)
Subject: RE: [802SEC] Electronic Participation in Interim Meetings

P1901 recently tried to hold a meeting via conference call ... In short,
it
was a disaster and the meeting was cancelled and voided as if it had
never
happened ... Because nothing useful could be accomplished.

In my experience, conference calls and "web meetings" (which I use in
the
following limited circumstances) only work when the number of
participants
is small, the purpose/topic is narrowly defined, and one person at a
time is
clearly the presenter with others simply commenting on the material
being
presented.

Again, I don't believe that this is a good, effective, or appropriate
way to
conduct this SG's activites.  That, I believe, should be reserved for
face
to face meetings.

As for the fact that "some of the wireless groups don't participate in
the
joint interims" ... Let's be honest with ourselves ... We're talking
about
.16 ... Some of us have, for some time, attempted to persuade .16 of the
benefits of joining the joint interim that ALL of the other wireless
groups
hold.  Their choice to "do their own thing" is, in my view, isolationist
and
reduces their access to .18 and .19 as well as activities such as this
SG
... HOWEVER, that's THEIR CHOICE and the rest of the world should not
have
to fall all over themselves trying to somehow compensate for the
consequences of that choice.

Carl