Re: [802SEC] +++EC 5 Day Review+++Letter to Chair of ECC SE24

Mike,

Thanks for your response to my comments.

Roger

On 2009/02/25, at 04:18 PM, Michael Lynch wrote:

Steve and Roger,

I hope you don't mind my responding to both of you in a single email.

Steve,

Yes, this letter has to do with radar detection in the 5 GHz band,
specifically with European weather radar. WRC-03 made the 5 GHz
allocation to RLANs based on work that had been done in ITU-R prior to
that WRC. That work included ITU-R developing specific Recommendations
regarding the implementation of RLANs, e.g. M.1450 which describes the
technologies for use in this band.  Indeed Resolution 229 from WRC-03
which implements the allocation is prescriptive and has very specific
requirements based both on ITU-R Recommendations and agreements reached at that WRC. Those requirements include power limitations, segmentation
of the band between indoor only and outdoor and DFS. National
administrations, including the U.S., have implemented RLANs in the 5 GHz
band based on Resolution 229. Almost immediately after the WRC some
began complaining about interference into weather radars in the 5600 -
5650 MHz band and it seems that an effort is beginning to exclude that
band from use by RLANs in Europe. The material presented at 802.18's
January interim makes us want to know what it is that SE24 sees as the
problem.

For reference I have attached Resolution 229.

Roger,

It may have been better to say that WRC-03, in Resolution 229,
implemented/incorporated by reference certain ITU-R Recommendations.
Please see the resolves of the Resolution. Those resolves that say
"shall" make the use of certain Recommendations mandatory for those
national administrations that choose to implement RLANs. In that case
the Recommendations are considered part of the Radio Regulations, the
international treaty that each WRC establishes. I'm happy to change
"approved by WRC-03" to read "implemented by or incorporated by
reference at WRC-03".

802.18 is of the view that the interim goal in SE24 is to remove the
5600 - 5650 MHz band from use by RLANs. At this point in time I do not
think that any regulator who has implemented 5 GHz RLANs has excluded
that portion of the band. Removing that segment would be a regulatory
change, a change to the approval to use RLANs in that frequency band. It
is also the view of 802.18 that this is a first step in an attempt to
remove RLANs from the 5 GHz band in Europe. The latter view is based on
knowledge gained by members of 802.18 who participate in other forums.

Glad to discuss.

Regards,

Mike