Re: [802SEC] Draft IEEE P802.3ba 40Gb/s and 100Gb/s Ethernet press release

As far as your first question goes - yes we have done such press releases in the past. We don't always do it. At least in 802.3, usually it has been up to the task force to draft a press release. Usually when they do, 802.3 has reviewed it and forwarded to the EC for approval. Not all task forces have done that but I think usually the speed upgrade projects have.

Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** [mailto:STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org] On Behalf Of John Hawkins
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 10:22 AM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [802SEC] Draft IEEE P802.3ba 40Gb/s and 100Gb/s Ethernet press release

Hey David,
I have no real heartburn here, but it does raise some questions:

1. Is this a usual and customary practice for us? Do we often (ever?) put
out a press release when a standard goes to working group? Just wondering
about the precedent, and opportunities for future mischief (if not here, in
other similar releases, should this one set the precedent). Also, we might
find ourselves awash in these things if we aren't carefull.

2) I'm assuming this was edited with assistance from IEEE staff (ostensibly
the Karen, who's name it carries)?
3) Is it wise/advisable to put the expected date of completion out there in
writing like this? How sure are we of that?

4) What would be your protocol should approval be reached on Friday, but
small editorial changes be deemed necessary? Should your motion allow for
such?

5) That second paragraph, while probably required, is a real yawner!   Any
chance that could be absorbed into the boilerplate the typically is appended
to the bottom of these things? If the intended audience is the press/analyst
community remember they have short attention spans...

6) Why is "eco-system" hyphenated?

john