Re: [802SEC] Draft IEEE P802.3ba 40Gb/s and 100Gb/s Ethernet press release

Hi John,

Thank you very much for your comments, I hope I have addressed each of
them below.

Best regards,
  David

1) Is this a usual and customary practice for us? Do we often (ever?) put
out a press release when a standard goes to working group? Just wondering
about the precedent, and opportunities for future mischief (if not here,
in other similar releases, should this one set the precedent). Also, we
might find ourselves awash in these things if we aren't careful.

Firstly I contacted Karen McCabe to find out what the IEEE-SA's practice
was is respect to press release, her reply was as follows:

The SA issues press releases for milestones during a standards
development. There isn't a "list" of what the SA will do releases for vs
what they won't do releases for. It's more common to issue a release when
a project or a standard is approved by the Standards Board, but the SA has
(and does) issued news releases announcing standards entering into working
group ballot, sponsor ballot, addressing the down selection process, call
for participants, outcomes/decisions from working group meetings, etc.
Issuing news releases outside of the approval of the project or approval
of the standard is usually tied to the need to address misinformation in
the media, to ensure that we get a specific message out, to support the
standards
development process, etc. In this case, wanting to get information out
about the value of the standard and the relationship with ITU-T.

In respect to what IEEE 802 has we have done in the past, I checked
through the IEEE-SA press release archive [
http://standards.ieee.org/announcements/ ] and I note IEEE 802 releases on
various items such as the selection of a baseline and indeed Working Group
ballot [ http://standards.ieee.org/announcements/80216key.html ] although
to be fair this release actually covered three items - reviewing proposals
for one project, initiating a Working Group Letter Ballot on a second, and
completing processed all comments in preparation for Working Group ballot
on a third.

2) I'm assuming this was edited with assistance from IEEE staff
(ostensibly the Karen, who's name it carries)?

The news release was written by a professional PR copy writer, with input
and review by Karen McCabe, John D'Ambrosiam (IEEE P802.3ba Task Force
chair) and myself.

3) Is it wise/advisable to put the expected date of completion out
there in writing like this? How sure are we of that?

The date used from the timeline adopted by the IEEE P802.ba Task Force
which is available publically. The project is on plan to meet this date.

4) What would be your protocol should approval be reached on Friday, but
small editorial changes be deemed necessary? Should your motion allow for
such?

I agree and based on this the motion I will make on Monday is:

The EC supports the IEEE P802.3ba 40Gb/s and 100Gb/s Ethernet press
release to be released contingent upon the IEEE 802.3 Working Group voting
to forward the IEEE P802.3ba draft to Working Group ballot with editorial
changes as deemed necessary.

5) That second paragraph, while probably required, is a real yawner!  Any
chance that could be absorbed into the boilerplate the typically is
appended to the bottom of these things? If the intended audience is the
press/analyst community remember they have short attention spans...

We don't necessarily need the second paragraph - but it does
include/work-in the long title of the standard - and that is wise to keep
in the release. We can move after the quotes.

6) Why is "eco-system" hyphenated?

This will be corrected to read 'ecosystem'.

***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** <STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org>