From: Geoff Thompson <thompson@ieee.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 12:25
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] 802.18 Conference Call - 26 August - 2:00 p.m. CDT - FCC Request for Help to Define "Broadband"

Mike-

I won't be able to join you on your August 26th call (besides, it looks
like I would not be allowed a vote by your announced rules) and to
provide the sort of answer that is needed for legislative purposes will
be tricky and challenging. I would like to add a though to the process
since I have been involved with broadband networking (to my belief)
longer (since 1973)than anyone else in 802.

To this end, I will requote my often said statement about Ethernet.
This aspect is not widely acknowledged or realized and runs strongly
counter to the legacy carrier line of (legacy) reasoning that bandwidth
is expensive.

     "The job of Ethernet is to not be the slowest element in the
(end-to-end) system."

  i.e. to be at least fast enough that the bandwidth of something else
(often operating system and display rendering bandwidth) is the thing
that actually determines the speed of the application as seen by the
user. Thus it has (most definitely) been a moving target over the last
25 years.

In the context of the government defining "broadband" as a national
deployment goal, the goal should be the same (and there will be massive
pushback because of legitimate cost issues). That is, the goal is to get
the bandwidth of the network out of the way of the long reach
applications of the present and future that are screaming to be made
available to the American public at large.

I hope this will be helpful.
I'm eager to see your output.

Best regards,

Geoff
P.S. The term "broadband" should be orthogonal to the issue of "network
neutrality"  but probably will not be in the requested context.
Therefore your response probably should mention that term too.