From: johnny.dixon@bt.com [mailto:johnny.dixon@bt.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 09:44
To: freqmgr@SBCGLOBAL.NET
Subject: RE: [802-18] [802SEC] Definition of "Broadband" (telecon 26 August
- 2:00 p.m. CDT - FCC Request for Help to Define "Broadband")

Mike

I won't be joining the call, but (like others) I'll give you my thoughts!

I recall discussions in the ITU-R WP5A (previously WP8A) about the term
broadband, in the context of "Broadband Wireless Access".  It was noted that
there is an ITU-T Recommendation I.113 on "Vocabulary of terms for broadband
aspects of ISDN".  The very first term defined is "broadband", which is
defined as .

"Qualifying a service or system requiring transmission channels capable of
supporting rates greater than the primary rate"

If I remember correctly, "primary rate" is 1.544 Mbit/s in the US, and 2.048
Mbit/s here in Europe.

For me, that definition still applies, although I recognise that others may
want to apply a more challenging threshold

Regards

Johnny

- 2:00 p.m. CDT - FCC Request for Help to Define "Broadband")

Thanks Paul.

RR-TAG, Paul's thoughts on this topic.

Regards,

Mike