Re: [802SEC] +++ 10 Day EC Email Ballot +++ Exec Secretary T&L Funding

Dear EC members

I vote Disapprove and urge other EC members to vote disapprove as well
for the following reasons:

1. The EC has already received a commitment from Dr. Rigsbee to provide
"the time, travel expenses, and resources necessary ... from March 2008
through March 2010".  If there is a need going forward, then we could
discuss that at the March meeting.  I strongly object to paying for
expenses for a meeting that has already occurred (i.e., November 2009)
and a meeting for which the payment was already committed (March 2010).

2. I don't find in our rules any procedure to handle this type of
expenditure.  Which EC members have the responsibility to review and
approve the expenses?  What is reasonable cost for meals?  Do we have a
per diem?  What is the policy for airfare (coach, cheapest regardless of
carrier, etc.).  If we are to consider support, I would say that we
should restrict it to airfare and hotel only as it would be much easier
to determine the correct policies and to audit the bills.

3. Other individuals in the EC pay for travel out of their own budge (as
they are consultants).  Shouldn't we pay $1000 per meeting for their
expenses?  The travel budget at my company has been restricted, it would
be a lot easier to justify my travel and continuing commitment if 802
covered some of my travel expenses as well.  What is the going to be the
criteria that we use to determine that someone's travel expenses should
be paid by 802 members?

4. At the March meeting, all candidates for the EC (and vice chairs)
will have to provide a signed letter from their supervisor (if the
expenses are to be paid by the company) or from themselves (in the case
of the self-employed) that commits to providing the time and financial
support for the meetings from the July 2010 to March 2012.  If we agree
to fund through November 2010, then we still need a commitment from Dr.
Rigsbee to fund his effort for the meetings in 2011 and March 2012.
Failing that, we cannot approve his appointment as Executive Secretary.
 If he does agree to provide the funding, then the motion should only be
for the July and November 2010 meetings.

5. We do not know if there will be someone who can take over as
Executive Secretary if Dr. Rigsbee is unable to find sponsorship unless
we ask the 802 membership.  If no candidate steps forward and Dr.
Rigsbee then requires additional support, only then should the EC could
consider funding to assist him.

6. Traditionally, we have used EC email ballots to approve things that
we either do on a regular basis (e.g., press releases) or that we have
already discussed for some time.  This is a new issue that has no
precedence (Arnie's funding was explicitly declared to not set a
precedence).  It is not even clear to me that we are allowed to do this
under the rules which govern this committee.  When we spend money, we
define the task and seek competing bids to get the best value for our
money.  Do we need to do that in this case?

James Gilb
802 Recording Secretary.