My concern is establishing that the travel policy of the IEEE (not even the SA, they do not have a separate travel policy) would become the default policy (without detailed consideration of the attendant ramifications) for travel that was funded by 802.

In particular, when international travel was concerned, high costs could kick in by default.

Geoff

On 1/28/10 11:00 AM, Pat Thaler wrote:
Geoff,

I think that in this case the expenditure limit protects us and it is a domestic meeting. I don't know what the IEEE policy for international travel is, but it sounds like we would have to reexamine its applicablility for us if this issue ever came up for an international trip.

Regards,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** [mailto:STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Geoff Thompson
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:30 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] [Fwd: Re: [802SEC] +++ 10-day EC Email Ballot +++ Exec Secretary March T&L Funding]

John-

I do not feel comfortable with your suggestion to use IEEE staff travel
policy.  While we are unlikely to have problems domestically, I have
observed several occasions when I was out of the country and staff
travel expenditures were running (I would estimate) 3 times what the
volunteers were typically spending.  For example, IEEE puts its staff
into business class for air travel far more readily than such privileges
are made to many of our volunteers.  I'm not particularly worried about
Buzz on this issue, especially for the Orlando meeting.  I am very
concerned about setting a precedent (explicitly or otherwise) to tie us
to a travel policy that is more generous than the ones governing those
who are funding this ordinary expense.

I think we are on thin ice on this issure anyway.  If this vote were put
to 802 at large, it would be a tough sell for any funding of this sort.
To put in place a funding policy more liberal than what is common in
industry at the moment is a bad idea.

Geoff