From: k.breitfelder@ieee.org
To: Paul Nikolich
Cc: m.d.turner@ieee.org ; David_Law@3com.com
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:16 AM
Subject: 802 FrameMaker

Dear Paul,

The letter is to advise you that beginning in 2011 the IEEE SA will begin using FrameMaker 9.0 exclusively in its production of documents submitted to the SA in FrameMaker.

As you know, for some time now the SA has accepted FrameMaker files in versions 7.0 and 8.0 and published in both versions. Beginning on 1 January 2011 we will produce all documents in version 9.0, no longer producing documents in version 7.0 or 8.0.

For the remainder of 2010 we will be transitioning to version 9.0. From now through 1 January 2011, 802 editors can submit documents in version 7.0, 8.0, or 9.0. The document will be edited in the version in which it was received by the SA--it will not undergo any kind of conversion during the production process. Files returned to the Working Group will then, of course, be in the same version that was submitted. For example, if a document is submitted to us in 8.0, it will be edited in 8.0, and 8.0 files will be returned to the Working Group.

Beginning in January 2011, we will continue to accept documents in lower versions. However, the SA will move the document into version 9.0 and will return 9.0 files (and/or miff files, if requested) to the Working Group. With regards to documents that receive SASB approval in December 2010 and the expedited publication dates that may put some documents “on the cusp” during the transition, we will continue to use the version in which the document was submitted and return that version to the Working Group. The December 2010 approvals will be the last batch that we will not move into version 9.0.

I’m happy to address any concerns on your part or on the part of 802 editors.

Thanks!

Kim

Kim Breitfelder
Publishing Manager
IEEE Standards Activities
445 Hoes Ln.
Piscataway, NJ 08854
(732) 465-6601
k.breitfelder@ieee.org

IEEE. Fostering technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity.