Re: [802SEC] +++ EC vote on 802.11 20th Anniversary press release +++

Bruce-

I think it is a great thing to celebrate and I support a press release "in principle".
I think this one needs some work so I am withholding my vote for now.

My specific critiques:
The paragraph:

   "802.11 standards have evolved to become the primary means to access
   the Internet in the office, at home, airports, hotels, restaurants,
   trains and even aircraft. Today laptops, pdas and mobile phones are
   typically equipped with an 802.11 radio. The standards serve as the
   underpinning for ubiquitous reach of wireless communications
   networks upon which are built entire industries."

...needs work.
The start of the 2nd paragraph, I would change to: "The standards produced by the IEEE 802.11 working group have provided *_untethered_*, low cost, high rate data communications..."

Also, I think the bullet item:

   "During the first decade of this century, further aspects of
   evolution commenced including management and the ability to generate
   report information from the air interface."

...should either be dropped completely (aspects too obscure for the general public) or completely reworked to remove the gobbeldy-speak in favor of plain English. I am of the opinion that it is too obtuse to make it through translation into the foreign press and too clumsy to survive the cross-out pen of a good editor.

Change:
"802.11ac task group will essentially extend 802.11n capabilities in the 5 GHz spectrum" To: "802.11ac task group will extend 802.11n - like capabilities into the 5 GHz spectrum"

My stab at the core paragraph:

   "802.11 standards have evolved to become *_a_* primary means to
   access the Internet in the office, at home, airports, hotels,
   restaurants, trains and even aircraft. Today*_'s_* laptops, pdas and
   mobile phones are typically equipped with an 802.11 radio. _*802.11
   standards have enabled a whole range of new applications and economy
   for wireless communication. *_The standards serve as the
   underpinning for ubiquitous reach of wireless communications
   networks_* for*_ entire industries."

Good luck,
    Geoff