If it turns out that 802.23 gets into the business of actually generating location information then the above will not be true. However, I do not expect that to be the case.

Best regards,

Geoff Thompson

On 4/11/10 6:47 AM, Ivan Reede wrote:
Geoff,

I am afraid your statement below may be incorrect. 802.22 and 802.11 will have to contend directly with geolocation information as intergral part of the MAC as I understand the FCC has placed the onus on the MAC layer (if not the PHY layer) to prevent any transmissions unless the location is known within 50 meter accuracy and the TVWS database has authorised the transmissions.

In the case of 802.22, I know this is dealt with at the MAC layer level. I expect the same will apply to any 802 std in the TV white spaces to comply to federal regulations in the US.

Ivan Reede

   ----- Original Message -----
   From: info
   To: Ivan Reede
   Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 9:23 AM
   Subject: Fw: FCC Stuff

   ----- Original Message -----
   From: Geoff Thompson
   To: MJLynch@mjlallc.com
   Cc: Stephens, Adrian P ; Bruce Kraemer ; Tony Jeffree ; 802-23 Emergency Services
   Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 11:51 AM
   Subject: Re: FCC Stuff

   Mike-
   (Response is below your message)

   On 3/11/10 9:19 AM, MJLynch@mjlallc.com wrote:
     Geoff,

     Have you seen this and is it meaningful to your group?

     Regards,

     Mike

     Released:  11/02/2010.  PUBLIC SAFETY AND HOMELAND SECURITY BUREAU ANNOUNCES COMMENT AND REPLY COMMENT DATES FOR THE FURTHER NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULEMAKING AND NOTICE OF INQUIRY IN THE E911 LOCATION ACCURACY PROCEEDING. (DA No.  10-2111). (Dkt No 05-196 07-114 ). Comments Due:

     01/03/2011. Reply Comments Due:  01/31/2011.  PSHSB . Contact:  Patrick Donovan at (202) 418-2413
     http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-10-2111A1.doc

     http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-10-2111A1.pdf

     http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-10-2111A1.txt

   Thanks for the heads up.

   We will discuss this during our meeting next week.

   My suspicion is that the direct effect on any 802.23 standard will be minimal as we do not intend to actually generate  location information.   At this point we believe that we will either pass up location information that comes from a MAC group (e.g. 802.11) or provide formatting, storage and forwarding for location information that is proprietary or is input manually (e.g. an 802.1 bridge).

   None the less, it is a requirement that we clearly need to keep in our sights.

   Best regards,

   Geoff

   !DSPAM:4cd1933540745271451243!