[802SEC] FW: Invitation to Roundtable on Federal Government Engagement in Standards - January 25, 2011 - 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM - Washington, DC - http://www.nist.gov/el/standards_roundtable.cfm

Sorry for the late notice, but this just came to my attention. I plan on joining the webcast:

A "Roundtable on Federal Government Engagement in Standards" is occurring next Tuesday.  The details are:

Roundtable on Federal Government Engagement in Standards
January 25, 2011 -- 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
Herbert C. Hoover Building Auditorium
U.S. Department of Commerce
Washington, D.C.
http://www.nist.gov/el/standards_roundtable.cfm

From the website:
Purpose:
Achieving national priorities-the Smart Grid, electronic health records, cyber security, cloud computing, emergency communications-depends upon interoperability standards. Consensus standards for these new technology sectors are helping drive innovation, economic growth, and job creation.

What is the appropriate role for the federal government in convening industry stakeholders and catalyzing standards development and use? How should the federal government engage in sectors where there is a compelling national interest? How are existing public-private initiatives in standardization working?