To: "Jon Rosdahl" <jrosdahl@ieee.org>
Cc: <STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:15 PM
Subject: RE: [802SEC] Topic for the Palm Springs wireless interim

Jon,

The purpose is not to work on PARs but to achieve some level of understanding amongst all those interested in White Space communications as to what the activities in the various WGs are meant to achieve. Could it come up with something that 802.18 needs to take forward either to the US FCC, the ITU-R or elsewhere? Yes, that is a possibility.

What has been the result of the 802.11 hosted sessions? Is there an understanding amongst all the wireless groups about what the others are doing? Is there a common view on spectrum usage? Corridor conversations that I have at our meetings suggest that the latter isn't the case. Are there regulatory challenges - real or perceived - regarding the use of White Space spectrum in any administration? Some discussions that I have had deal with using 54 - 72 and 76 - 88 MHz (channels 2 - 6 in the US raster), is that spectrum truly widely available and if not then what are the challenges? Are there services other than broadcast that will need to be protected? Those could be adjacent or co-channel.

802.18 is not looking to duplicate any work that 802.11/15/22 have done and PARs are not something that 802.18 wishes to deal with again. Is there material from those joint sessions dealing with spectrum usage and the protection of non-broadcast services? It is presumed that any 802 technology using the White Spaces will comply with the administration's rules protecting the broadcast service. What about in band coexistence of 802 technologies? If so then where are the results and are they readily available to any and all 802 groups wanting to develop technologies for the White Spaces? If these joint sessions have developed this knowledge then it could be shared in the meeting that 802.18 is proposing to host.

Regards,

Mike