Re: [802SEC] Fwd: Grand Opening !! Visit the New IEEE Standards Store

Geoff and Tony,

I checked and they have corrected a couple of the most egregious flaws. The drafts (at least for amendments of 802.1Q where I was checking) now have a P before the 802.nA number, a draft number and month year date in their heading. IEEE 802.1Q-2005 no longer says that it is replaced by a draft. The browse by when I click on 802 LAN/MAN/PAN now loads in Internet Explorer.

The amendments list for 802.1Q still is a mix of drafts and approved amendments but at least you can tell directly from the list which are drafts because they are listed like IEEE P802.1Qbc/D1.5, April 2011 - DRAFT.

The following statement in the press release is untrue to an astounding extent:
   * Superior search engine technology: helps you to find standards
     faster and more accurately
I don't know how they could make the search work as badly as it does.

So the biggest problem with the web site at this point is the ability for the user to find a standard that they want.

Browse to 802 LAN/MAN/PAN puts one into a list of all IEEE 802 standards including withdrawn ones (but not drafts), it took about 5 pages to get from 802.1 to 802.11 (for some reason, the 802.10 standards are mixed in with the 802.1<letter> ones so I'm not quite sure what ordering rule is being used, but it looks like an awful lot of pages to get to 802.3 on this path. Clicking to list by Edition Date gives earliest date first with no option for reverse ordering or going to the end of the list so if you are a historian looking for IEEE 802.3-1985, you are in great shape. Otherwise, start clicking through the 16 pages or try the "superior search engine".

If one wanted to find all 802.1 standards, a search on 802.1 won't do it. It know brings up only IEEE 1733-2011. A search on 802.1Qau brings up IEEE 802.1Q-2005 (which fortunately has a link to 802.1Qau) but it doesn't bring up the amendment directly. At least a search on 802.3 brings up 802.3-2008 as the third document (and its corrigenda as the second).

They have taken the feedback and made some improvements. I think they have even correctly fixed the worst issues first, but the browsing and search engines need work.

Regards,
Pat