Re: [802SEC] myballot status for the 802 EC Interim Teleconference -- June 7, 2011, 1-3pm ET.

Adrian-

I fully agree with you.
I believe that I put in a comment to that same effect (i.e. bug tracking system) some time ago. (I.e. specifically tracking feature requests and bug reports and reporting back responsibly on the disposition thereof)

This is not a matter that can be solved by sending more or different staff to an 802 meeting.

One way that we can do something other than just start another process is to demand (at the July meeting) an item-by-item report on the disposition of issues for the list that we generated for staff at our July off-site two years ago.

It would seem to me that after two years the only reasonable responses for those items would be:
    - It is a valid concern. We believe we have fixed it
- It is a valid concern. We believe we have partially fixed and will complete it by the following date - It is a valid concern. We believe we have partially fixed it but it isn't worth fixing completely
    - It is a valid concern but we don't know how to fix it.
- It is a valid concern but we don't find it politically possible to fix it. - It is a valid concern but we think it should take 5 years instead of 2 to fix it.
    - You think it is a valid concern but we don't.
Or (sadly) the one that you imply which is:
- We don't think 802 is important in terms of defining our tasks or is worthy of frank communication about our priorities and where the solution of their problems fits in terms or our priority lists.

And I have to allow for the addition of a following possibility which is that "our management process" is not oriented to actually tracking and solving problems.

(One of the things that we could ask for is for them to bring the tracking tool for myProject or myBallot (I would prefer the latter) and give us the report. In that way, we could judge both the extent to which the problems are being captured and the system used to capture/track them. The remaining issue would then be transparency. I.e. I have turned in a number of issues regarding myWhatever. I have NEVER received any communication regarding the disposition of my input.)

Best regards,

    Geoff Thompson