To: <STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 1:31 AM
Subject: [802SEC] Videotaping networking history.

Colleagues-

As you should all know, Tutorial #1 on Monday night of the San Francisco Plenary is Norm Abramson on "the history of the development of ALOHA Network", a network which is arguably the ancestor of everything we are doing in 802.

Thanks to Art Astrin for arranging this and Bob Heile for sponsoring the tutorial.

I have asked the Computer History Museum in Mountain View if they would like to videotape and record this event. They would like to do so at no cost to us in order to add a record of this event to their history collection. The IEEE would be granted at least one copy of the final version of the video and would have rights to use it for their internal purposes. The Museum would reserve any rights to actually sell the video.

What the Computer History Museum asks in return is modest. They would like to participate in the introduction to announce to the audience that they are taping it as part of their history collection and to announce to the audience that their badges will be good for a 20% discount on admission to the museum. In addition, since we have decided to have the tutorials be open, I have suggested to my contact Marc Weber (Curator, Internet History Program at the CHM) that we could accommodate some number of history museum members for the tutorial as well.

Also, we will need to hook Marc's video system in the PA/microphone system in the tutorial ballroom.

What I believe I need to make this all go is:
    1.    802 Approval for my plan
2. A ruling from Nikolich as to whether he can approve this vs. it requiring a vote of the EC
    3.    Comments from the EC regarding the proposal
    4a.   Approval from Nikolich of the plan    -OR-
4b. Delegation from Nikolich for Thompson to run an EC ballot to approve the plan.

I hope we can pull this off.

Best regards,

    Geoff

Geoffrey O. Thompson
Chair, IEEE 802.23 Emergency Services Working Group

GraCaSI Standards Advisors
158 Paseo Ct.
Mountain View, CA 94043-5286
<thompson@ieee.org>

This email is sent from the 802 Executive Committee email reflector. This list is maintained by Listserv.