From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** [mailto:STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Grow, Bob
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 9:04 AM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Proposal for Editions

As some may recall, I have been advocating publishing all amendments and corrigenda as consolidations (editions) for some time.  In my proposals, I have recommended that WGs be allowed to decide if an amendment/corrigendum is balloted as a redline or as change instructions (as is currently done).

Publishing of redlines I agree is a valuable product and something that IEEE-SA is now selectively offereing.  Since these can be done as diffs, I don't think it is a significant workload for editorial staff, and probably less than the work of publishing a change instruction amendment and then later having to merge the amendment for a revision.

Personally, for 802 I think a bundle of redline and clean versions would be an appropriate product to serve the needs of implementers.

I agree balloting as redlines also is often valuable.  A speed increase or new PHY type for 802.3 is not likely to show as much benefit from a redline ballot as would energy efficient Ethernet which is much better reviewed in context (as you point out for much 802.1 work).  In a very large document though, a complete redline is difficult to find scattered changes, so only supplying changed clauses or a changed clause list might be necessary for a redline ballot.

The only point where I find using consolidated redlines problematic is when amendment projects are very parallel (e.g., in ballot at the same time).

--Bob