From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** [mailto:STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Bob Heile
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:07 AM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Jim Carlo -Tribute at the March Plenary

All-

I will pile on with Stuart and Roger.  Jim's 802 legacy is so great.  I am
hoping we can set up some sort of tribute/memorial for him at the upcoming
plenary.  Pictures of his times with 802?  Maybe we could all look through
our collections and see what we have? It would be fun to start building a
web photo page of our times together and put many up for display for the
802 community.  I am hoping Dawn would be ok with being the collection
point?  I wonder if we could bring Muffy to Hawaii or would that be too
much too soon?

Anyway, some thoughts--

Bob H.

At 12:06 AM 2/15/2012 -0700, Roger Marks wrote:
>I share Stuart's sentiments.
>
>Jim was a great friend and a great man. He was as nice and warm a guy as
>you'll ever meet. He rolled out the welcome mat when I first came to him
>to talk about standards for broadband wireless in 1998, and then he shared
>his wisdom while mentoring me and the new working group. Jim was a
>brilliant standardization builder, leader, and innovator. I salute him and
>will miss him.
>
>Roger
>

>On 2012/02/14, at 11:07 PM, Stuart J. Kerry wrote:
>
> > My deepest sorrow to Muffy and his family for the passing of Jim.
> >
> > In the early days of my tenure of being the 802.11 WG Chair he was a
> mentor to me and I will never forget his kind and wise advice. May his
> legacy in 802 and the Standards community be every lasting.
> >
> > I do remember his running of the 802 EC Closing meetings when he would
> give the nod to me when items on the agenda I was actioning would either
> pass or fail and when I should shut up to let them proceed successfully.
> >
> > Thanks Jim for being a true statesman and great gentlemen to us poor
> naive freshmen.
> >
> > Respectfully,
> >
> > / Stuart
> >
> > eMail: stuart@ok-brit.com
> > web: www.ok-brit.com
> >
> > . . . Sent from my iPhone, whilst on the GO !
> >
> > On Feb 14, 2012, at 20:03, Paul Nikolich <paul.nikolich@ATT.NET> wrote:
> >
> >> Dear EC Members,
> >>
> >> It is with a heavy heart I must let you know I just found out late
> tonight Jim Carlo passed away.  I recently spoke to him--he was not doing
> to well, but hanging in there as best he could in his battle with
> cancer.  For those of you that new him, he was a great representative of
> 802 and the Standards Association, and a mentor to me.  I will miss
> him.  Rest in peace Jame T. Carlo--the 802 community shall mourn for you.
> >>
> >> Sadly,
> >>
> >> --Paul
> >>
> >> p.s. the email I received from Bob Love/Dawn:

Bob Heile, Ph.D
Chairman, ZigBee Alliance
Chair, IEEE 802.15 Working Group on Wireless Personal Area Networks
Co-Chair IEEE P2030 Task Force 3 on Smartgrid Communications
11 Robert Toner Blvd
Suite 5-301
North Attleboro, MA  02763   USA
Mobile: +1-781-929-4832