As expected IEEE 802.16 presented two documents during PM1. Additionally there was a third document that responds to a July 17th FCC Public Notice on a topic familiar to IEEE 802 – the use of a portion of the 902 – 928 MHz frequency band by multilateration location and monitoring services licenses. I will deal with the 902 – 928 MHz document first.
1) 18-12-0071-01 “COMMENTS OF IEEE 802” – IEEE 802.18/IEEE 802 have for many years opposed the various petitions from Progeny and other 900 MHz M-LMS to either be allowed more time to build out their networks or waiver of other FCC rules. The FCC has, as an exception, created a “safe harbor” for license exempt devices in the 902 – 928 MHz frequency band. Most recently we filed comments with the FCC when Progeny’s own test reports showed that they were not protected WLANs, etc., in the adjacent portions of the 902 – 9288 MHz frequency band. This letter is in response to the FCC’s request for comments on allowing more time on the network build out requirements for Progeny and other M-MLS operators. This letter supports denying them their build out extensions. The FCC Public notice (18-12-0069-01), as well as the draft IEEE 802 response, can be found on IEEE 802.18’s Mentor web site.
Since this is a topic that IEEE 802 and IEEE 802.18 has dealt with many times I would suggest adding this response to the Consent Agenda. The two documents from IEEE 802.16 are listed here:
1) 18-12-0068-01 “UPDATE OF SUBCLAUSE 5.6 IN REVISION 12 OF RECOMMENDATION ITU-R M.1457 (MEETING X NOTIFICATION)”. Recommendation ITU-R M.1457 deals with IMT and 802.16 is the only wireless WG with a technology contained in M.1457. This document provides both some updates on the status of the work in 802.16 and corrections to typographical errors in another related ITU-R recommendations (Recommendation ITU-R M.2012).
2) 18-12-0070-02 “UPDATE OF SUBCLAUSE 5.6 IN REVISION 12 OF RECOMMENDATION ITU-R M.1457 (MEETING X NOTIFICATION)”. IEEE 802.16 is the only wireless WG with a technology considered by ITU-R to be IMT. This document responds to the ITU-R WP5D and notifies them of IEEE 802.16’s intention to continue participation in the work of WP5D.
Since these two documents are IMT related and 802.16 is the only wireless WG participating these are also candidates for the consent agenda. At this moment IEEE 802.18 has two documents for consideration at the Closing EC Meeting. They are:
1) 18-12-0063-04 “Draft Contribution to M.1801 Revision” – the full title of Recommendation ITU-R M.1801 is “Radio interface standards for broadband wireless access systems, including mobile and nomadic applications, in the mobile service operating below 6 GHz”. It recommends specific standards for broadband wireless access in the mobile service. IEEE 802.18 is forwarding updates provided by IEEE 802.11.
2) 18-12-0072-01 “Draft Cover Letter M.1801 Contribution” – this is the cover letter addressed to the ITU-R and will have the draft revision of Recommendation ITU-R M.1801 embedded in it.
Both of these documents are on the 802.18 Mentor web site. Since 18-12-0063-04 simply provides a further IEEE 802.11 update to Recommendation ITU-R M.1801, and that particular Recommendation has been previously seen by the EC, I request that it, and the cover letter which is purely administrative in nature, be placed on the Consent Agenda. It is anticipated that 802.16 will possibly bring 2 additional documents to 802.18’s PM1 meeting. If that happens then information regarding them will be forwarded to you and the EC.
---------- This email is sent from the 802 Executive Committee email reflector. This list is maintained by Listserv.