[802SEC] Formation of IC Higher Speed Ethernet Consensus Group and IEEE 802.3 Bandwidth Assessment report press release - EC vote results

Dear EC members,

In respect to the Formation of Industry Connection Higher Speed Ethernet Consensus Group and IEEE 802.3 Bandwidth Assessment report press release 10 day EC ballot, the ballot closed on Sunday 12th August, 2012 at 11:59PM AOE, the results of the ballot are as follows. I received four comments and I have attached an updated draft (IEEE_802d3_BWA_D1p7.pdf) as well as a diff (IEEE_802d3_BWA_D1p7_diff.pdf) to show the changes made in respect of these comments - details of the comments are recorded below.

Based on these results I will now go ahead and ask the IEEE-SA to make the release.

Thanks and best regards,
  David

 Vote categories:         APP    DIS    ABS    DNV
 VC Pat Thaler                                 DNV
 VC James Gilb            APP
 TR Clint Chaplin         APP
 RS John D'Ambrosia       APP
 ES Jon Rosdahl           APP
 01 Tony Jeffree          APP
 03 David Law             APP
 11 Bruce Kraemer         APP with comments
 15 Bob Heile             APP
 16 Roger Marks           APP with comments
 18 Mike Lynch            APP
 19 Steve Shellhammer                          DNV
 21 Subir Das             APP
 22 Apurva Mody                                DNV
 ME Geoff Thompson        non-voting
 ME Buzz Rigsbee          non-voting
 14 TOTALS        result  11     00      00    03

Bruce Kraemer Comments:

[1] Your banner line reads: "Report Predicts Capacity". The banner line of the report says "This is a report on the future bandwidth needs of Ethernet wireline applications."  Hence the press release should read something like.... "Report Predicts Capacity Demand"

-- We have implemented this change.

[2] The body text states that the project "follows the approval of the IEEE 802.3 Ethernet Bandwidth Assessment report". This begs the question of who approved it and I believe the general public would expect to see something simpler like "follows the completion of the IEEE 802.3 Ethernet Bandwidth Assessment report"

-- We have changed '.. approval ..' to '.. publication ..' so this text now reads '.. follows the publication of the IEEE 802.3 Ethernet Bandwidth Assessment report.'.

Roger Marks Comments:

[3] I think that the last sentence of the first paragraph could be understood to mean that a specific set of entities has already been invited to participate. The revision of that sentence has made that interpretation more likely. If the announcement is intended to solicit new participation, then I think you should consider making that point more explicitly.

-- We have changed the text from 'Those invited to participate include users and producers ..' to read 'Potential participants include users and producers ..'.

[4] Personally, I can't understand the purpose or scope of the new group based on the announcement. All I see is that it will "build toward the next speed of Ethernet for wireline applications." Perhaps a little bit of rewording could help ensure that all the readers will understand it.

-- We have changed '.. to build toward the next speed of Ethernet for wireline applications.' to read '.. to build consensus toward the development of the next speed of Ethernet.'.