Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:04 AM
Subject: Your Application for IEEE-SA Corporate Membership

Hello Mr. Nikolich,

Thank you for your response to my question.

My understanding of the IEEE 802 EC is that it is a committee of the 802 LMSC, which reports into a series of board structures.
The IEEE 802 EC is not an independent board and 802 is not an independent entity.

Here is my understanding, again, of 802 LMSC's reporting structure:
  • IEEE 802 LMSC to;
  • IEEE Computer Society Standards Activities Board to;
  • IEEE Computer Society to;
  • IEEE-SA Standards Board (for standards) to;
  • IEEE-SA Board of Governors to;
  • IEEE Board of Directors.

Because IEEE 802 EC is not an independent board and 802 is not an independent entity, the IEEE-SA is rejecting your application for IEEE-SA Corporate Membership.

Please see Section 5.2.1.2.1 Control of our bylaws (http://standards.ieee.org/develop/policies/bylaws/sect5.html) - -

For the purpose of IEEE entity standards development, the term "control" (and its linguistic derivatives, e.g., "controlling," "controlled") means:

  • With respect to for-profit entities: the legal, beneficial, or equitable ownership, directly or indirectly, of more than fifty percent of the capital stock (or other ownership interest, if the entity does not own capital stock) of the entity; or the power to elect or appoint more than fifty percent of the governing body (e.g., the Board of Directors) of the entity.
  • With respect to not-for-profit entities: the power to elect or appoint more than fifty percent of the governing body (e.g., the Board of Directors) of the entity.

Best Regards,
Patti

Patricia Sulzer
Program Manager - IEEE-SA Membership
IEEE Standards Association
445 Hoes Lane
Piscataway NJ 08854 USA
PH: +1 732 562-6381
email: p.sulzer@ieee.org

IEEE. Fostering technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity.