Re: [802SEC] ++++ 10 day EC Ballot closing Jan 31 --- Submission of 802.11 amendments to ISO via PSDO ++++

All,

I vote approve.

Bruce

From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** [mailto:STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Kraemer
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 4:32 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [802SEC] ++++ 10 day EC Ballot closing Jan 31 --- Submission of 802.11 amendments to ISO via PSDO ++++

Dear EC,

Paul has authorized me to run an email ballot on the following motion:

Motion:

Grant permission to submit three published 802.11 amendments (802.11aa, 802.11ae and 802.11ad) to ISO under the PSDO process, for approval as  8802 standards.

Although this is one ballot within the EC, each will be submitted individually to ISO.

Moved: Kraemer

Seconded: Jeffree

This motion falls under the OM clause titled “8.1 Procedure for coordination with other standards bodies” and we agreed that communications with the ISO would be approved by the EC prior to submission.

This ballot will be conducted per OM Clause “4.1.2 Voting rules”

This will be a 10-day ballot, closing on 31st January 2013 AOE; I will terminate the ballot early if it is clear that the  outcome has been decided.

Background:

In May 2012 IEEE SA published  802.11-2012 and subsequently submitted it to ISO for recognition as an 8802 standard. The ISO ballot successfully completed in October 2012 and the standard 8802-11:2012 is available in the ISO store for 238 CHF

http://www.iso.org/iso/home/store/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=62000

More recently, there has been considerable discussion both within 802 and within the SA regarding submission of additional revisions and amendments to ISO  In particular, there has been discussion over whether the European Commission Multi-stakeholder Platform activities would warrant submissions of amendments to the EC rather than ISO. .  The discussion caused 802.11 to withhold amendment submissions to ISO until some questions were resolved regarding the best method to guarantee continued acceptance of 802 standards in Europe. Those questions have been resolved in favor of the decision to submit amendments to ISO.

Regards,

Bruce