From: Roger Marks [mailto:r.b.marks@ieee.org]
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:15 PM
To: Michael Lynch
Cc: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] +++ 10 Day EC Ballot - Comments to the European Union Radio Spectrum Policy Group +++

Mike,

I have three procedural issues on which I would like your comment:

(1) The motion refers to OM Subclause 8.2. However, that subclause contains two completely different procedures. I think it is pretty clear that the intent is to follow OM Subclause 8.2.1, but I think that the motion should state this explicitly to avoid ambiguity. Can you confirm?

Roger, I intentionally picked the same OM Subclause used on the previous EC 10 Day Ballot since, at least in my opinion, the EC chair still has some decisions to make and put into place, i.e. does he become the sole individual sending documents to (and receiving from) government agencies or does he do as was pointed out by David Ringle on March 20th and decide to delegate this responsibility in accordance with 3.4.1 f of the 802 P&P. I do not believe that Paul has yet formally announced a decision on that topic hence 8.2 seems sufficient at this time.

(2) I am concerned that the document under review is posted publicly, indicating that it is from IEEE 802, but does not indicate that it is a draft. The general public may confuse this with an IEEE 802 position.

The document title is “Draft Response to EU RSPG Consultation”, which should be sufficient to identify the document as a draft, even if a watermark was not included on the pages. Further the document that the comments are being submitted to is also clearly marked as a draft document. The text quoted in the ballot announcement explains what the EU RSPG’s intentions are in releasing a draft for comments.

(3) I am puzzled about the 802.18 teleconference procedures and notices. According to the minutes (18-13-0039), when 802.18 met in March, it approved a motion that "The chair is empowered to conduct teleconferences as needed through July 29, 2013," with the following discussion recorded: "A concern was brought up on having this open ended. It was explained that this doesn’t call the meeting, but allows the chair to be able to call a meeting, with a 10 day advanced notification with agenda, etc."

You noted that, on 26 March, the 802.18 Vice Chair announced a meeting on 11 April, but that "The meeting was opened as announced on April 11th but while we had a quorum the meeting was recessed until April 12th." It seems to me that the effect of this "recess" was to call a meeting with less than 24 hours notice. But perhaps you see it differently, so let me ask you: How much advance notice was provided for the meeting of April 12?

I'm not saying that this issue is critical to the motion. In fact, 8.2.1 (unlike 8.2.2) doesn't specify a requirement for WG/TAG approval. Still, this seems like a good opportunity for me to request a better understanding of the 802.18 telecon notice requirements and procedures. Can you point me to a document?

Roger, the motion that you cite was approved at the end of the March meeting and is a normal procedural one that is compliant with the TAG’s rules. If you were to check the 802.18 teleconference schedule you would see that the date for that meeting is now May 2nd.

The April 11th meeting was properly announced by being added on March 25th to the teleconference schedule on the 802.18 web site. On April 11th the meeting was opened and then was recessed until the next day, April 12th, without objection by those in attendance (in other words by consensus). The recess was announced by email to the EC reflector, the 802.18 reflector and the 802.11 Regulatory SC reflector at 12:48 PM CDT on April 11th.  Doing so provided notice to those who were not at the meeting when it began on April 11th. Recessing a meeting is a well understood way of extending the meeting to meet circumstantial needs. The need for the recess was partly due to an unintended schedule conflict with the 802.11 Regulatory SC meeting, and partly due to the fact that a procedural mistake had made the teleconference bridge impossible to use.

As for a document to point you to I would use “Robert’s Rules of Order”, where it says that “A recess is generally short in duration, though it may last several hours., but is never for more than a day.” This recess was for a day. As stated in the meeting minutes: “6.       The teleconference was recessed at 12:20 PM CDT until Friday, April 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM CDT.” IMHO a day is 24 hours.

Thanks,

Roger