Re: [802SEC] Fwd: IEEE 802.24 letter ballot #05 begins today

Mike

You (as are all EC members) ex-officio members of the IEEE 802.24 TAG,
hence you can vote if you wish.

James Gilb

On 12/15/2013 01:46 PM, Michael Lynch wrote:
James,

I find this both interesting and appropriate. While I am unable to
vote in the ballot I certainly hope that the ballot is approved.

Over the past two - three years in the ITU-R Smart Grid related work
I have found NIST not to be "friendly" to IEEE 802 standards. Indeed
one of their representatives, who in that particular meeting was a
vice chair, felt that individual standards should not be listed. I
see ensuring that IEEE 802 standards are included by NIST is a key
element to make certain that they are included by the work in Geneva.
When NIST speaks against listing them they are speaking as a Member
State and that can have serious consequences. I think that you and I
have discussed a number of times that the view in the ITU, outside of
ITU-R, is that PLT and its cousins are the way to go. The Secretary
General himself has gone so far as to endorse a wireline only
approach to Smart Grid management.

Hopefully the IEEE 802 2014 contribution to ITU-R WP1A Question 236/1
will help to place IEEE 802 standards at the forefront for Smart Grid
management. The RR-TAG looks forward to reviewing and approving that
contribution at our Los Angeles meeting. With the holidays
approaching we seem to be running out of time to do the initial
contribution review via conference call that I had earlier suggested.
Hopefully, in order to provide enough time in Los Angeles, we can
start that review early (e.g. PM2 on Monday). The review will of
course require representatives of all of the wireless WGs interested
plus 802.3.

Best regards,

Mike +1.972.814.4901

-----Original Message----- From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee
List ***** [mailto:STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org] On Behalf Of James P. K.
Gilb Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 13:08 To:
STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG Subject: [802SEC] Fwd: IEEE 802.24
letter ballot #05 begins today

Dear 802 EC members

According to the IEEE 802 Operations Manual procedure for Sponsor
subgroup communications with government bodies (8.2.2).

"For statements not presented for review in a sponsor meeting,
Sponsor members shall have a review period of at least five days; if,
during that time, a motion to block it is made, release of the
statement will be withheld until a letter ballot of the Sponsor is
held to determine if it is approved."

This email marks the beginning of the review period, which shall end
on 28 December 2013 (the same date that the 802.24 letter ballot
closes).

Thanks

James Gilb

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: IEEE 802.24 letter ballot
#05 begins today Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:04:49 -0800 From: James P.
K. Gilb <gilb@ieee.org> To: 802.24 voters
<802-24-Voters@listserv.ieee.org>,  802.24
<STDS-802-24@listserv.ieee.org>

Dear 802.24 voters

With this email, IEEE 802.24 Smart Grid TAG is beginning Letter
Ballot #05, a 15 day letter ballot.  The list of voting members for
IEEE 802.24 can be found at:
http://www.ieee802.org/24/members.shtml.

This motion is made under the IEEE 802 Operations Manual procedure
for Sponsor subgroup communications with government bodies (8.2.2).

Motion is that IEEE 802.24 approves and submits docunment
24-13-0050-01 as an IEEE 802.24 comment to NIST as part of the
informal comment process on the NIST Smart Grid Framework 3.0.  The
TAG chair is empowered to make editorial changes as necessary.  The
documents will be forwarded to Bill Ash to be transmitted to the
appropriate individual in NIST.

The document can be found at:
https://mentor.ieee.org/802.24/dcn/13/24-13-0050-01-0000-commnet-on-nist-smart-grid-framework-3.docx

 The ballot opens 12 December 2013 and closes 28 December 2013.

To respond, send an email to gilb@ieee.org and tim.godfrey@ieee.org
with the subject line:

LB05-LAST NAME-FIRST NAME-VOTE

where VOTE shall be one of YES, NO, or ABSTAIN.

In the body of the email state your vote and affiliation.

Failure to follow the instructions will result in your vote not
counting as a valid response to the letter ballot.

If you don't receive an acknowledgement from the Chair within 24
hours, please re-send your vote.

This is a mandatory letter ballot.  According to the IEEE 802 WG P&P,
subclause "7.2.3. Loss":

Excepting recirculation letter ballots membership may be lost if two
of the last three WG letter ballots are not returned, or are returned
with an abstention for other than "lack of technical expertise."

James Gilb Chair IEEE 802.24 Smart Grid TAG

---------- This email is sent from the 802 Executive Committee email
reflector.  This list is maintained by Listserv.