From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** [mailto:STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Stephens, Adrian P
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2014 11:12
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] +++ 10-day EC Email Ballot +++ Scope change of IEEE 802.24 and process for adding Task Groups for new areas of interest

I am currently undecided.

I have heartburn with this:  " Acts as a liaison and point of contact with regulatory agencies, industry organizations, other SDOs, government agencies, IEEE societies, etc., for questions regarding the use of 802 standards in those emerging applications."

I am a little unclear in the 802 process about which liaisons require 802 approval and which do not.   For example,  802 recently responded to an incoming liaison from 3GPP without involving 802.   But we have also approved outgoing liaisons via 802.

In this case is the scope of "emerging applications" clear enough?
We also have a special process for regulatory.    802.11 creates input for 802.18,  which is the single point of contact on regulatory matters.   As I read it,  the proposed 802.24 rules give it license to talk directly to regulatory on emerging standards,  even if that position is contrary to one developed in .18.

Waiting for some email discussion on the topic....

Best Regards,

Adrian P STEPHENS
Office: +44 (1793) 404 825
Mobile: +44 (7920) 084900
USA Mobile: +1 (408) 239 7485

Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)
Registered Office: Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ VAT No: 860 2173 47