From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** [mailto:STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Law, David
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 7:51 AM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [802SEC] +++ 10-day EC Email Ballot +++ Letter to the Barrass family

Dear EC members,

I was shocked and saddened to be told of the passing last week of my friend and colleague, Hugh Barrass. It would be impossible for me to list the many contributions Hugh made to IEEE 802, in particular in IEEE 802.3, and he always did so with insight, humour and energy. John and I would like to ask for IEEE 802 EC approval for the following letter to be sent to his family. Based on this, Paul has delegated the conduct of the EC electronic ballot on the following motion to me, and I'm announcing the possibility of an 'early close' to this ballot (see below).

Best regards,
David

Motion
======

Approve the following letter from IEEE 802 to the Barrass family.

Move: David Law
Second: John D'Ambrosia

Start of ballot: Tuesday 1st July
Close of ballot: Friday 11th July, 11:59PM AOE

Early close: As required in subclause 4.1.2 'Voting rules' of the IEEE 802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee (LMSC) Operations Manual, this is notice that, to ensure the release is provided in a timely manner, this ballot may close early once sufficient responses are received to clearly decide a matter.

-----

[IEEE 802 letterhead]

Dear Morag, Callum, and Rosie,

The entire IEEE 802 community was shocked and saddened by the news of Hugh's passing. While few individuals have made as many significant contributions in so many different areas of IEEE 802 as Hugh, many are remembering him for the larger-than-life presence that he brought to our activities. His immense good cheer, dry wit, gentle humour, and omnipresent rugby jerseys made him a vital and vibrant part of our community. Please know that he will be sorely missed.

On behalf of the entire IEEE 802 community, our thoughts and condolences go out to you at this time.

With our deepest sympathy for your loss,

Paul Nikolich
Chair, IEEE 802 LMSC

On Behalf of the IEEE 802 LMSC and IEEE 802 Community