[802SEC] IEEE 802.3 Industry Connections Next Generation Ethernet Passive Optical Network (NG-EPON) report approval

Dear Colleagues,

The IEEE 802.3 Industry Connections Next Generation Ethernet Passive Optical Network (NG-EPON) was chartered to generate a report to gather information that would enable an assessment of operator requirements, technical and economic feasibility and bandwidth needs for different types of applications served with EPON. Based on this I formed the IEEE 802.3 Industry Connections NG-EPON ad hoc which this week submitted a report for approval. The IEEE 802.3 Working Group will consider approval of this report this afternoon at the IEEE 802.3 closing plenary.

Subclause 8.3.2 'Subgroup public statements' of the 'IEEE 802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee (LMSC) Policies and Procedures' state that as well as requiring the subgroup approval, that 'Such public statements also require approval of the Sponsor'. Based on this, assuming approval of the IEEE 802.3 Working Group this afternoon, I will be seeking approval of the IEEE 802 EC at the closing EC meeting tomorrow afternoon. In preparation for that request I am attaching the draft of the report. I will be prepared to present textual changes, if any, made to this draft during the IEEE 802.3 closing plenary this afternoon.

Best regards,
  David