Re: [802SEC] July PARs under Consideration

Hi Ben,

IEEE 802.1CM is a PAR for a new standard, not an amendment. IEEE 802.1 had multiple standards under it before the practice of numbering them xxx.1, xxx.2, etc was established. They use an older practice of using upper case letters for base standards (I don’t know what else to call non-amendment standards as amendments are standards too and once a “new standard” is done, it isn’t new any more) and lower case for amendments.

So IEEE P802.1CM is a PAR for a new standard – you can tell because of the capital letters and because if it wasn’t the letters for the base standard would be in its designation.

IEEE P802.1Qcn is a PAR for an amendment, cl, to IEEE 802.1Q.

There isn’t an existing IEEE 802.1 standard. There is a family of IEEE 802.1 standards including: IEEE 802.1D, IEEE 802.1Q, IEEE 802.1X, IEEE 802.1AB, … and IEEE 802.1BR. If I counted correctly, IEEE 802.1CM would become the 12th member of that family if the other two that are currently under development finish first.

By the way, you could have answered that question by looking at the draft PAR on the PARs under Consideration Page:

http://www.ieee802.org/PARs.shtml

Regards,

Pat