Re: [802SEC] URGENT - Action needed on IEEE Internet Initiative

Hello Bob,

Here’s some information on 802.11 (which will come as no surprise)

1.       802.11ah,  which is currently at the end of its WG ballot series, is intended to address IoT “sensor” like devices.   It contains specific optimizations:

a.       Operating in the 900 MHz frequency band, it achieves longer range,  but provides relatively low data rates.

b.      To enhance power-savings based on better coordination between AP and sensor device

c.       To efficiently support short data exchanges.  Data exchanges in an IoT network are typically short.

d.      To operate efficiently when there is a large imbalance between AP and non-AP device transmit power and receive sensitivity.

2.       Our “long-range low-power” initiative (currently in its very early days) will look to extend the range and reduce power consumption,  both of which are important for IoT devices.   It is too early to know what technical approaches will be used,  but it is likely to be an optional feature added to 802.11ax,  which will be the next “must have” release (i.e. after 802.11ac).  It is likely to build on the OFDMA features of 802.11ax to provide long range and low power using narrow channels and other PHY techniques.

Best Regards,

Adrian P STEPHENS

Tel: +44 (1793) 404825 (office)
Tel: +1 (971) 330 6025 (mobile)