Re: [802SEC] Flyer for IEEE 802 Student Paper Contest

Thanks, James.

Regarding the topics, I get the idea that you think it's too late to add a new one. I suggest you keep an old one; namely, "New ideas for standards or amendments." That one was on the topic list that you showed the EC in July (ec-15-0060-01) and in the motion scheduled for the 6 October EC telecon (ec-15-0060-02). My understanding of the proposal was that this would be one of the topics.

Regarding publication, I'm not sure that I was clear in my comment, so let me try again. The flyer indicates that the first three prizes come with "publication." It also says that the winning papers and presentations will be "published" on mentor. Are these two usages talking about the same thing? If so, then I think it's saying that the 4th-10th place documents are not posted to mentor. My view is that all the winners, and certainly anything that is presented, should be posted.

If, on the other hand, "publication" does not mean "posted to mentor," then it would be better to say "posted" to mentor instead of "published" to mentor, to avoid confusing the academics whose understanding of "publication" accords with your description. But, if that's the case, then I have a deeper concern, because it seems to promise that the paper will be formally published somewhere. Given that we don't control a publication medium, how can we make a commitment to that? I'm very concerned about overpromising on this and would rather delete the "Publication" column that risk that letdown.

Roger

James P. K. Gilb wrote:
Roger

(1) We worked on the list of topics in July and again in September. There was an open call for contributions and this is the list we came up with. Perhaps we can add yours next time.

(2) I would be happy to review any more explicit rules that you could provide. We can put them on the web site that goes with the contest.

(3) We want sufficient technical content. The group felt that 5-7 pages would be sufficient.

(4) Publication here refers to submitting it for publication in one of the IEEE magazines (e.g., Potentials, Communications Society Magazine, etc.). In academia, publication refers to this, not simply posting on a web site.

(5) "grants" would be an improvement.

Thanks for the feedback.

James Gilb