Re: [802SEC] Question about non-technical electronic ballots

7.2 applies to all votes conducted between meetings. There are some items (e.g. duration of WG ballots on drafts) that have additional rules elsewhere.

IEEE 802.1 has been conducting electronic ballots. It usually has only TG and SG meetings at its interims and if there is an WG vote arising from the interim, that is done by an electronic ballot. IIRC, there may also have been occasions to correct an error where a motion was needed and not made at the closing WG at a plenary. More recent ones have used ePoll.

In my opinion, ePoll more than satisfies the intent of  IEEE Bylaw I-300.4(4) as the log in provides assurance that it was duly authorized by the voter. Perhaps we should have some statement in our rules that ePoll may be used in lieu of electronic mail to ensure that it is covered.

We relied on the return rate to ensure that electronic motion votes are suitably long rather than putting in a specific duration. That seems sufficient to me, but if a we want to add a minimum duration,10 days is a good length of time (possibly with a provision allowing for early close when enough votes have been received similar to EC electronic votes).

I think that 802.1 has generally been using 10 days for ePolls - at least that was the duration of the ePolls from the January meeting.