|Thread Links||Date Links|
|Thread Prev||Thread Next||Thread Index||Date Prev||Date Next||Date Index|
IEEE 802.20 was last revised in 2008, the last amendments in 2010. PICS and minimum performance were published in 2010. The 802.20 WG is currently hibernating with Radhakrishna Canchi as the WG Chair.
Since that time, there has not been any new work in the area.
The question for discussion is what, if anything, should we do regarding 802.20. Some possible scenarios:
1) More than one vendor is currently building product compliant to the standard and hence, the standard is still market relevant. In this case, no action should be taken, but we should be aware that the standard will need to be revised in 2020.
2) While products may have been made in the past, there is no current activity building product complaint to some portion of the standard. If so, then the EC should consider withdrawing the standard and disbanding the WG.
3) Some other scenario I forgot, for which Geoff will remind me. :)
Radhakrishna has indicated that he will be providing information to support keeping the standard active from companies building product to the standard.
So, please discuss.
PS: The current 802.20 standards are given below:
IEEE 802.20™: MOBILE BROADBAND WIRELESS ACCESS (MBWA)
1) IEEE 802.20b™-2010 PDF format IEEE Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Virtual Bridged Local Area Networks Amendment 15: Bridging of IEEE 802.20
2) IEEE 802.20™-2008 PDF format IEEE Standard for Local and metropolitan area networks — Part 20: Air Interface for Mobile Broadband Wireless Access Systems Supporting Vehicular Mobility — Physical and Media Access Control Layer Specification
3) IEEE 802.20a™-2010 PDF format IEEE Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Part 20: Air Interface for Mobile Broadband Wireless Access Systems Supporting Vehicular Mobility--Physical and Media Access Control Layer Specification Amendment 1: Management Information Base Enhancements and Corrigenda Items
4) IEEE 802.20.2™-2010 PDF format IEEE Standard for Conformance to IEEE 802.20 Systems — Protocol Implementation Conformance Statement (PICS) Proforma
5) IEEE 802.20.3™-2010 PDF format IEEE Standard for Minimum Performance Characteristics of IEEE 802.20 Terminals and Base Stations/Access Nodes
This email is sent from the 802 Executive Committee email reflector. This list is maintained by Listserv.