[802SEC] Sponsors public statements
- To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
- Subject: [802SEC] Sponsors public statements
- From: "Law, David" <dlaw@HPE.COM>
- Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 16:24:56 +0000
- Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of firstname.lastname@example.org designates 220.127.116.11 as permitted sender) email@example.com
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=mime-version:content-transfer-encoding:spamdiagnosticmetadata :spamdiagnosticoutput:content-language:accept-language:message-id :date:thread-index:thread-topic:subject:to:from :arc-authentication-results; bh=f/S+7ADsue/yRnTX+Cu1S6cP406wFebKKQybRmNOA2o=; b=y/Etm/dMq4uF4wMZeI3emOzPn89SIhI5IESMfYYs16+QV7ineQocQejNGt2qTazZSA HYHByaEyxJnZ2lofhP4eshTKMQhvcw5oV7x4scZfQZKodVrcD480ImS4c2vL1pqtb4/2 m4G64r1TTz9Uh6ZImdOlDRSmSYVjUXiWqM/N4ucyaA72SVlJCmATJBZZlS5ovU5fw3sA 4qL+z2kis+G29gt033mRUA8Z9BbXUVDqxMpmo6zgFsFm3sOTISFs9ZUqJnCMH4PeBcYC NzxBSCVdifeuTSs0YxcMyc7uLFI9LE/jJgO+ZZ+eDY8yA/6KialCDVFRGyfQf4Rc8Lgz MnOg==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1505924707; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=kg3xfnrey06HchFogt7tbqrZP1XnsEGIidjy8gYePcGu5ARpLPCcj1k741DsXSMyJU heU3UVW77SBAMC15aDjTUwWc1OxSF1h1Oq2sB0934Dagd3olEtaXKqyxueO6gWVlOlZe QGTASc3g8Thr6PdEgIZvlF/rTPHD7xYksHtpzF5whA8UZBksoP9poF7BT4ZGl+vwE78W RQGCrj4wozJsSNcN/tK/OzJCbhJJVk8Mr/jIYt9ZT0/2tRHAwb7BgIPbm49BE0TQif6R d1tke3cZYARgjJ44In7AoNQ0r0LZHbLx3RGYZ/1F0iQ/edVySvHdaEvtT/kYh8Y3fmmv u5cA==
- Delivered-to: mhonarc@GROUPER.IEEE.ORG
- List-help: <https://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?LIST=STDS-802-SEC>, <mailto:LISTSERV@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG?body=INFO%20STDS-802-SEC>
- List-owner: <mailto:STDS-802-SEC-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- List-subscribe: <mailto:STDS-802-SEC-subscribe-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:STDS-802-SEC-unsubscribe-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- Reply-to: "Law, David" <dlaw@HPE.COM>
- Sender: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** <STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org>
- Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
- Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99
- Thread-index: AdMyK/x17ArI1oMXSLKapkgWsap4Gg==
- Thread-topic: Sponsors public statements
Dear EC members,
Since there has been some discussion of public statements from Sponsors I'd like to share my thoughts.
Subclause 5.1.3 'Statements to external bodies' of the IEEE-SA Standards Board Operations manual <http://standards.ieee.org/develop/policies/opman/sect5.html#5.1.3> states that a '... Sponsor shall have policies and procedures in place concerning the creation and handling of public statements ...'. I believe we do in subclause 8.3.1 'Sponsor public statements' of the IEEE 802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee (LMSC) Policies and Procedures.
It states that 'Each statement shall clearly identify the group creating this statement in its opening paragraph, and shall include in that paragraph, or a footnote thereto, the exact sentence that "this document solely represents the views of name of group and does not necessarily represent a position of either the IEEE or the IEEE Standards Association."'. We need to make sure we do this.
It states 'Upon issuance of all such public statements, electronic copies shall be sent to the Secretary of the IEEE-SA Standards Board and to the Secretary of the IEEE-SA BOG.'. Both of these positions are held by Konstantinos Karachalios, so by CCing him I believe that requirement can be met.
It also states 'These procedures shall also conform both to the IEEE-SA procedures as administered by the IEEE-SA Board of Governors (BOG) and set forth in subclause 6.5 of the IEEE Standards Association Operations Manual and to the rules in Section 15 of the IEEE Policies.
On review of subclause 6.5 'Position statements' <http://standards.ieee.org/develop/policies/sa_opman/sect6.html#6.5> of the IEEE-SA Operations Manual, it seems to relate to position statements representing the IEEE Standards Association which I don't believe we are doing here.
On review of section 15 of the IEEE Policies <https://www.ieee.org/documents/ieee_policies.pdf>, it seems to relate to position statements representing the IEEE which I don't believe we are doing here.
I do note subsection 15.11 'OU Public Policy Processes and Operations' which states 'Consistent with applicable IEEE Bylaws and Policies, IEEE Organizational Units may establish internal requirements and processes regulating their public policy communications and the related activities of their subordinate Organizational Units.'. This seems to be what subclause 6.5 'Position statements' of the IEEE-SA Operations Manual and subclause 5.1.3 'Statements to external bodies' of the IEEE-SA Standards Board Operations manual do.
This email is sent from the 802 Executive Committee email reflector. This list is maintained by Listserv.