Re: [802SEC] a best practices guide on the affiliation disclosure requirements

G’day all

There seems to be objections to the following question/answer in the Affiliation FAQ

I consult for multiple companies but none pay for my time or expenses to attend standards development meetings. Am I affiliated with those companies?
If they are influencing what positions you take on issues (e.g., continued work is probably dependent on taking an agreeable position), then you are materially supported by that affiliate.

Some people are interpreting this to mean that they are affiliated with anyone influencing their position. I agree this would be silly and impractical

Fortunately the above text is clarified by other parts of the faq. For example the first response states

An affiliation, as defined in the IEEE-SA Standards Board Bylaws, 5.2.1.5, is an individual deemed "affiliated" with an individual or entity that has been, or will be, financially or materially supporting that individual's participation in a particular IEEE standards activity.

This makes it clear that just being influenced by a person or company is not enough to make you an affiliate. You must receive financial or material support too

Andrew