Re: [802SEC] Webex meeting changed: 802 Seat 1 - Ad-hoc on Rule Changes

Mr. Gilb and others interested in rules revisions,

Though not on the agenda for the 15 April call, I have some comments on the latest LMSC P&P revision draft (https://mentor.ieee.org/802-ec/dcn/18/ec-18-0102-15-0PNP-proposed-lmsc-p-p-2018.doc).  Some of these may duplicate open issues the Mr. Gilb has identified.

1.7, end of paragraph
I propose “determined by the sum of its approved PARs” be expanded to “determined by the sum of the scopes of its standards and approved PARs”.  Rationale:  As noted in other parts of the P&P we have responsibility to maintain our standards, and at any given time, the approved PARs do not necessarily cover the aggregate scope of the standards we maintain.

3.1, second paragraph
No proposed change, just something to think about.  the second line limits elections to the first plenary in an even numbered year.  Therefore, cancellation of all plenaries in an even numbered year extends terms to at least 4 years.  4.2 also references "even numbered year” for the end of terms for non-voting EC members.

3.2
I note a conflict between “6 months” and the next plenary session.  An appointment made today would expire before the November plenary, so cancellation of the July plenary leaves the position vacant for a period of time.  Do we still want the 6 month limit?

General
Though often in baseline text, IEEE-SA is deprecated in favor of IEEE SA.  <sarcasm on>Thank you marketing geniuses that don’t adequately consider ripple affects. :-(  <sarcasm off>  This could be search and replaced consistent with other changes to non-modifiable text for current use of terms (e.g., Sponsor replaced with Standards Committee).  Rationale:  The web site version of governance documents have no hyphen, and occurrence of governance committee names on the web site eliminate the hyphen.  The current baseline P&P do not use hyphen.  The only questionable replacement I could find is the title page approval note (the SASB in 2017 used the hyphenated IEEE-SA Standards Board).

3.4.2, a)
This section is poorly edited and the baseline is part of the problem.  Item a has been edited to only apply to First Vice Chair, that confuses the other items.  Item a also does not cover vacancy of Chair office (time between vacancy and replacement), nor succession if First Vice Chair is also unavailable etc.  Business continuation should be possible with multiple officers being “unavailable”.  The word temporary is also questionable.  If I die of a heart attack, I’m not temporarily unavailable, the office is vacant until there is a replacement.  (This is a rather morbid but necessary thing to consider.)  Perhaps rather than the “First Vice Chair:”   Add a sentence at the end of "a)" “If the Chair is not available or recuses, the First Vice Chair, if First Vice Chair not available or recuses, then the Second Vice Chair, act on behalf of the Chair.”  Consider if such a sentence should include Chair’s designee, or an else:  person selected by majority of Standards Committee members voting in the third position.  Rationale:  I don’t remember if any other EC members were diverted and delayed for the Singapore meeting, or if I was the only one cutting arrival close to the opening EC meeting and being absent because of the earthquake and being diverted from Narita.  Other difficult to contemplate circumstances could result in multiple absences (temporary or not).

4.3, second paragraph
The assumption of only confirming an appointment at a plenary session is again poor business continuation planning.  This also relates to the 6 month limit on temporary appointments in 3.2.  A procedure for electronic confirmation should be allowed, in which case voting rights are gained on completion of confirmation outside a plenary.

4.3.1
With more electronic process being used, failure to participate in electronic motions should also be included in dereliction of duty (if not participating, they still go in the denominator for quorum and also in the denominator if an approval requires a majority of the Standards Committee (e.g., Y / Members rather then Y / (Y+N) votes).

6.3
I don’t have a proposal, but note that continuing migration to electronic process requires funding of the electronic tools.  On the original P2030 work, registration with a fee was required for electronic participation, so there is precedent in IEEE SA to register and pay for electronic participation.

—Bob Grow