Re: [802SEC] Review of an 802 submission to India TRAI's consultation on AI/Big Data before proceeding to a motion

Dear Roger,

Thanks for your review and comments.  The followings are the response from the author who prepared this submission:

(1) I don’t understand how the draft statement is responsive to the consultation. After is a lot of info about the status of 802 activities, the draft says it "would like to provide our response to Question 30.” I see that Q.30 in the consultation is “Whether active participation in the international challenge programs such as ITU AI/ML 5G challenge will help India's telecom industry in adopting AI?” Q.30 also includes some followup questions, but I don’t see how they are related to the response. Is there a typo in the question number?

[HY] The main purpose of IEEE response is to inform TRAI about the activity and interest in IEEE as a standard body. We pointed to Q. 30 as typically the expectation from regulatory bodies is to be able to correlate responses to questions. Of course, the IEEE response could only be indirectly related to Q.30 as we are trying to encourage TRAI to follow current and future activities in IEEE. Alternatively, we could point to Q.13 or Q.32 below. I agree that, as we are building a general awareness about IEEE interest and new projects here, none of the questions may be directly and explicitly related. I am open to referring to these other questions or other ideas. It is important that TRAI knows not all related activities are in 5G/6G but in IEEE 802 domain too.

Q.13. Whether telecom/ICT industry is facing constraints such as access to data, lack of computing infrastructure, lack of standards, and R&D in the adoption of AI and BD technologies? Please list out all such constraints with adequate details.

Q.32. Whether the telecom industry is required to adopt a Machine Learning Operations (MLOps) environment to develop, train, validate and store ML models? Whether there is also a need to establish a DataOps feature store to help MLOps for training purposes? What standardisation is required in terms of interoperability and compatibility for MLOps to function in a federated manner? Please justify your response with rationale and suitable examples, if any.

(2) The paragraph about the 802 tutorial should be written in past tense, since it is scheduled for 14 Nov and the statement date is 18 Nov. [Also, I don’t see the relevance of the tutorial details to Q.30.][HY] I am ok with changing to past sense.

(3) There is an editorial issue with the wording "opportunities for to benefit from”, and that entire sentence is difficult to parse.[HY] Maybe we can consider “… critically depend on opportunities for to benefit from emerging technologies like high-precision position-ing, …”

Regards.
Edward

[...]

Cheers,

Roger