Re: [802SEC] +++ 10-day ECM – Early Close +++ IEEE 802.3 liaison letter to ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 6/AG 4

David,

Please change my vote to Disapprove.

After discovering and reviewing the document that is the subject of the letter, I don’t support the tone of the response. That document says:

14.3 Liaison to IEEE 802 Group
This document needs further improvement from other experts especially from IEEE 802.3 group. Since IEEE 802 Group has representatives in AG 4, they are aware of this proposal once it is posted to the AG 4 document repository. There is no need to prepare a separate liaison letter to IEEE 802 Group. It is recommended that when this proposal is arranged for review at AG 4 meeting, a reminder is sent to IEEE 802 Group representative to invite their attention and participation. Comments are invited to address but not limited to the following issues:
•Are there any factual errors in this document?
•What information should be included but missing from the document?
•Who can provide answers to the questions raised but not resolved in this document?
•Should this document be jointly developed?
•Should the final report be published as a Technical Report for public access?

It appears that these questions were asked in good faith. I believe that a proper response should acknowledge the questions and provide considered answers, or state that we have no opinion on some. On the issue of errors, I’d prefer a more constructive response such as “We appreciate your request for a review for identification of errors. Here are some issues we identified:…” Also, we shouldn’t say "there are references to IEEE 802.3 Ethernet PHYs that don’t exist such as 50GBASE-T.” This is saying that there are a plurality of incorrect PHYs listed but we are giving only one example. Why are we withholding the names of the others?

Cheers,

Roger