[802SEC] Future meetings ad hoc recap, update, proposed rules changes

Thank you all for a good discussion today.

We determined that the ad hoc recommendation to the LMSC to maintain 3 in-person (with remote access) plenaries per year will stand, and the ad hoc has completed its task.

The meeting notes have been updated at https://mentor.ieee.org/802-ec/dcn/24/ec-24-0037-02-00EC-future-meetings-ad-hoc-agenda-notes-12-feb-2024.pdf, including attendance, discussion notes, and the proposed rules change for discussion at the rules meeting in March.

Proposed rules changes to require in-person attendance at 2 out of the last 4 plenaries with in-person attendance at one interim able to be substituted for one of the plenaries to establish and maintain voting membership (with the Working Group chair able to grant membership & in-person credit based on discretion) and grandfathering in of previous attendance were discussed.

  • Following the meeting, in follow up, it became clear that some of the discussion was confusion regarding which document the changes were proposed to – it is the 802 lmsc WORKING GROUP P&P’s (ec-21-0207-25-0PNP-ieee802-lmsc-working-group-policies-and-procedures.pdf).  It also became clear that some of the terms being discussed were, in fact, those already proposed to be changed.

As such, I am announcing that I will be proposing the modifications to the 802 LMSC Working Group Policies and Procedures, Sections 4.1, 4.2, and 4.2.1 shown on slide 11 of the meeting notes (rev 02):
https://mentor.ieee.org/802-ec/dcn/24/ec-24-0037-01-00EC-future-meetings-ad-hoc-agenda-notes-12-feb-2024.pdf

We can discuss at the rules meeting and refine as necessary.  From the meeting, it appears there is both confusion to clear up and consensus to be built.

As far as procedure, it was mentioned at the meeting that these rules may be controlled by Audcom.  They appear to be within our power to change:

I note that the 802 LMSC Working Group Policies and Procedures Section 1.2 (Modification to these Procedures) gives the standards committee that power, stating (emphasis added):

“The Working Group may modify these procedures with the approval of its Standards Committee. The Standards Committee may modify these procedures. Modification in this context means that material in these procedures may be modified as long as that clause is not indicated as one that shall not be changed. The IEEE SA Audit Committee (AudCom) strongly recommends that all subjects included in these procedures are addressed by the Working Group or Standards Committee and changes to the will be proposed to the rules meeting at the March plenary.”

I have checked the latest AudCom template  for these procedures and confirmed that neither 4.1, 4.2, nor 4.2.1 are marked that they shall not be changed (in fact, they are marked that they may be modified, and specifically, 4.1 is marked that “voting membership may be defined as needed”).

Therefore, I am proposing the rules changes on slide 11of rev 02 of ec-24-0037-02-00EC-future-meetings-ad-hoc-agenda-notes-12-feb-2024.pdf.

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal

CME Consulting, Inc.

george@cmephyconsulting.com