Re: [STDS-802-11-ARC] deleting the PLCP-PMD interface from TGaf PHY clause

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 ARC Reflector ---

Hi, Eldad,

Thanks.  I actually disagree with you; those existing PMD sub-layers also include bit representation, channelization, on-air timing, etc.  However, I’m not trying to argue with you about the value of making the 11ac (or 11af) PHY into a single structure without this sub-structure – the TG should make that expert decision.

My statement was simply that the way the structure is described in clause 7, if you are going to delete one of the components, then you really don’t have any internal structure and are a single “monolith” known as PHY – and thus you should drop any usage of PMD or PLCP.  Having said that, I do agree with you that the terminology usage in clauses 4, 6, 7 and the existing PHYs is not appropriate for such a single structure PHY, even though clause 7 implies that such structure is optional.

This sounds like something to address in REVmc.  For now, I’m withdrawing my comments/complaints about how to describe a PHY without such structure, and I’ll leave it at “just do the best you can – we’ll fix it in REVmc.”  That’s my suggestion anyway.

And, yes, there is irony (I’m being nice) in the Standard having internal structure that nobody actually uses, but be missing internal structure that is frequently used – you’re very accurate in that.  Of course, it is only a logical description and not an implementation description and all that, so we can live with it.  But, that seems like another topic to consider in REVmc, perhaps.  I would also note that several years ago, ARC SC started working on a functional/component architectural model of the MAC, which just started to consider such actual usage of structure (in the sense of trying to help make sure our MAC model was enabling real implementation choices), but that work never completed.  It may or may not be worth resurrecting.

Mark