[STDS-802-11-ARC] Minutiae on FIgure 5-1

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 ARC Reflector ---

Sorry for the wide blast, all – if you’re not interested, please ignore.

Someone (but I’ve lost track of who, sorry) sent me a private chat during the ARC call yesterday, asking what the “RX/TX MSDU Rate Limiting” function is, near the top of the stack in Figure 5-1 (in 802.11-2016).  Here’s a quick summary.

This was added by 802.11u.  It an  SSPN/Interworking feature that was added to MA-UNITDATA.request and MA-UNITDATA.indication.  Mostly, it seems to be “outside the scope of the standard” in terms of how this actually works/what it does.  But, it is connected to the MIB attributes in the dot11InterworkingTable, which “provides information about permissions received from an SSPN Interface.”  This seems to include controls over the amount of data that should be both transmitted and received over the SSPN connection.

To be honest, it's all mostly beyond my ken.  (In particular, the TX and RX sides seem to share a lot of the MIB counters, which doesn’t make much sense to me, but I probably just don’t understand.) Those with more interest probably need to ask Stephen McCann, et al, for more details.

Mark