[STDS-802-11-CAC] FW: [STDS-802-11] Result of IEEE 802.11 Working Group Ballot 231 - IEEE P802.11ay Draft 1.0 Technical

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 Chairs' Advisory Committee Reflector ---

Adrian, All,

Is anybody else disturbed by how close this vote came to passing?  Not to pick on 11ay in any way! This is just the most recent example of this issue.  But, it seems we have a clear case of a “problem” with our voting rules, when we are 2 votes away from passing a document that is completely and explicitly missing the text for at least 3 (or 4) clauses.  (In this case, clause 6, and Annexes B and C and arguably G.)

I know we’ve talked about this issue of “blind/forced yes” voting before, but it seems we never actually conclude those discussions.

I’m fine with putting documents out for a vote, to get formal about the process of input/comments/etc.  Or, maybe we should be better about using Comment Collection for this sort of thing.  I can see a number of options.  But, when the vote almost passes (or in some past cases I think did actually pass, with similar gaps), it seems like we need to take a step back and talk about this again.

Thoughts?

Mark