Re: [STDS-802-11-EDITORS] More info on NOTES

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 Editors' Reflector ---
Hunter,

I think there is real grief in changing the note style: it would make the 11ac amendment note style inconsistent with its baseline.

Longer term, I also don't think we should adopt the new note style in .11. Numbering all notes in a subclause creates additional editorial work without any clear benefit. Numbering would need to be kept consistent across amendments that touch the same subclause. Notes would need to be renumbering when a subclause is subdivided (as I recently did splitting 9.31.5 into 3 subclauses) or a note is moved. It is not clear how numbering would be applied to notes in tables since tables float and may appear out of order with the surrounding text.

Notes are typically associated with the immediately preceding paragraph or with the table in which they reside. Sequential numbering through a subclause implies that there is some relationship between the notes (which there isn't).

-Robert