From: *** IEEE stds-802-11-editors List *** <STDS-802-11-EDITORS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Stacey, Robert
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2022 12:53 PM
To: STDS-802-11-EDITORS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [STDS-802-11-EDITORS] Hyphenating compound terms

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 Editors' Reflector ---

Hello Editors,

In REVme there is a discussion around the hyphenation of “access point” when it is prefixed with “non”, i.e., is it “non-access-point” or “non-access point”. See Emily’s email copied below.

I dug into this a bit and I suggest we defer to the Chicago Manual of Style on this topic. This will be up for discussion at the Editors meeting during the March session.

If we do go this route I suggest we add the following to the hyphenation section of our style manual:

----

Follow the Chicago Manual of Style for use of the hyphen with a prefix; a hyphen should be used with a prefix in the following cases:

•            Before a capitalized word, abbreviation or a numeral, such a sub-AP, pre-1950;

•            Before a compound term, such as non-self-sustaining, non–access point (see below for en-dash vs dash);

•            To separate two i’s, two a’s, and other combinations of letters or syllables that might cause misreading, such as anti-intellectual, extra-alkaline, pro-life;

•            To separate the repeated terms in a double prefix, such as sub-subentry;

•            When a prefix or combining form stands alone, such as over- and underused, macro- and microeconomics.

Note that when the hyphen is used before an open compound term, the hyphen is an en-dash (e.g., non–access point). This provides a visual clue that the prefix applies to the whole compound and not just the first word. When the hyphen is before a hyphenated compound, then a regular dash is used (e.g., non-self-sustaining).

Further note that this rule means we do not hyphenate a compound term that is not normally hyphenated when adding the prefix.

----

Emily, this may mean revisiting some of the following uses (although we could do that through the comment process):

non-quality-of-service

non-very high throughput

non-high-throughput

non-40-MHz-capable

nonaggregate medium access control (MAC) protocol data unit (non-A-MPDU) frame

nonbandwidth signaling transmitter address

nonbufferable medium access control (MAC) management protocol data unit (MMPDU)

nonconcealed groupcast with retries (GCR) frame

nonextended rate physical layer (non-ERP)

nongroupcast with retries (non-GCR)

nongroupcast with retries service period (non-GCR-SP)

non-quality-of-service management frame (non-QMF)

non-space-time-block-coding (non-STBC) frame

non-traffic indication map (non-TIM) mode

non-general link

-Robert