From: Hamilton, Mark [mailto:Mark.Hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 09 May, 2013 17:31
To: Philippe Klein; STDS-802-1-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; STDS-802-11-TGAK@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [802.1 - 9678] Picture of Portal and DS that uses bridged network

Hi, Philippe,

I believe my response would be that, from time to time, I struggle with each of the "boxes" or "blobs" in the 802.11 Figures.  It seems that each of them has come up in some discussion as giving someone the impression that the function represented by the box/blob in the picture is mapped to a physical object.  It comes up now in our discussion mostly for DS and Portal, because those are the concepts we happen to be wrestling with.  But, I've said the same about AP (a LOT - there any MANY physical implementations of AP which are distributed through multiple physical objects), and even with non-AP STA (consider an older laptop with a Wi-Fi dongle plugged in via a USB cable as a trivial example).  So, in general, I am often taking the stance of reminding everyone who asks questions like "where does such and such happen?" that they are asking a conceptual question, which might map to reality many different ways.

This extends to considering efficiency of implementation.  Yes, it is quite easy to create a poor implementation of the 802.11 concepts.  "Enough rope to hang yourself," I think is the common phrase.  But, by being very flexible, 802.11 also has led to some very good implementations, and some innovative ways of bringing the concepts to reality which have changed the shape of the products and industry.  I think the flexibility is very powerful and don't want to lose it, for sake of helping someone in particular avoid doing a bad implementation.

Now, two specific points:

"Portal" is a mapping operation.  Less so than any other entity in the 802.11 architecture (except the DS), it's physical location and manifestation is very hard to specify or even identify in a real system.  The good news is nobody tries to draw the DS in Figures as a "box".  But, the Portal would be high on my list for things that aren't a "box", also.  Maybe just a "fat arrow" between the DS "blob" and a non-802.11-network "blob"...?  Anyway, as you say, it is a SAP (actually probably two SAPs and a mapping between them - but I have to think about that one), and we don't generally draw a SAP as a box.  We draw a box (in this type of Figure - as opposed to a box _within_ a stack or _within_ an entity) when there is a reasonable chance of that being a physical thing or it probably has some form of physical manifestation because there is a HW component to it, etc.  Since the Portal is little more than just a SAP, I don't see the value in the box, and do see the confusion it !
 can cause.

You also mentioned interoperability.  This is a key concern.  Note that, for better or worse, 802.11 has explicitly _not_ tried to make the concepts of DS or Portal be interoperable.  As we mentioned on a call recently, there was actually an attempt (a couple times, in different groups) to specify structure and protocol sufficiently to allow interoperability of these components, and those attempts all failed.  We are left with a Standard which has intentionally left this unspecified and therefore very flexible but also leaves interoperability out of scope.  It is an interesting and deep philosophical discussion - but one which 802.11 has decided at this point.

Lastly, let me leave you with a physical implementation model of 802.11 which is relatively common (although certainly not the only way, or only good way, to do it - each approach has pros and cons).  Consider a very "lightweight AP" which is really little more than a radio (almost no MAC function, even).  Connect a bunch of these to  what otherwise looks like a set of Ethernet switches.  Note that this connection between radio and the switch _might_ be 802.3, but could be anything.  Now, those switches are, by definition, embodying the DS, as well as most of the MAC of the APs.  Further, these switches do have standard 802.3 ports as well, and are connected together and to other switches, etc. to form the backbone of a wired 802 network.  So, somewhere within the switches, and distributed between them, is the Portal.  This is a nice and neat, and pretty efficient implementation, in general.  I can't imagine how to draw the 802.11 concepts to overlay a figure of the physical!
  boxes in this model.  Does that help demonstrate the challenge?

Mark